To give the participants knowledge about the importance of mental health and equip them with skills needed for safe and effective disaster management, the Local Government Unit (LGU) of Baler, in collaboration with the Aurora State College of Technology (ASCOT), held a 2-day Skill-Building Seminar for Women of Baler on Mental Health and Disaster and Risk Reduction Management at the Accreditation Hall, General Building, Zabali Campus; December 1 to 2.
In his message, Baler Municipal Mayor Rhett Ronan T. Angara said that he is grateful for the active partnership and collaboration of LGU Baler and ASCOT in holding this kind of program that engages and empowers our women sector.
Mayor Angara also emphasized to the participants that consulting and asking advice from experts about mental health should be normalized. Patients should not be shy about it, especially women who perform a very essential role in their family and society.
On the other hand, the College President, Dr. Eutiquio L. Rotaquio, Jr., expressed his warm welcome to the participants and the speakers from the LGU Baler and said that the College in collaboration with the municipal government, will always be prepared in organizing various kinds of activities that will help contribute in women empowerment.
The training proper of the said skill-building seminar included talks and activities from the following resource persons both from the College and the LGU with their respective topics:
- Lecture on Disaster and Risk Reduction Management – Mr. Hector N. Dela Torre, Jr. (LDRRMO-Baler)
- Psychological Testing – Ms. Dolores Salvacion F. Tolentino, RGC
- Lecture on Psychological First Aid (PFA) – Prof. Zenaida A. Exclamado (Director, Department of Arts and Sciences)
- Group Activity (Biofeedback and Guided Meditation) – ASCOT Nurses and Ms. Dolores Salvacion F. Tolentino, RGC
- Lecture on Mental Health – Ms. Dolores Salvacion F. Tolentino, RGC
- Spotting Signs and Symptoms of Mental Health Issues, Self-Care, and Psychosocial Support – Ms. Dolores Salvacion F. Tolentino, RGC
- Hector N. Dela Torre, Jr. (LDRRMO-Baler)
Meanwhile, in his message during the closing program of the 2-day seminar, Mr. Ricardo G. Gonzales, Jr., Director of the College’s Extension and Training Office, said that if we become mentally strong and stable, no one can bring us down; that’s why it is essential always to have a positive and a healthy mindset all the time.
The participants and the resource speakers received their respective certificates of participation and appreciation as the concluding part of the skill-building activity.
Photo Courtesy: Municipal Government of Baler Facebook Page